The Language and Cultural Center (LACC) is part of the School of Liberal Arts
and is managed by the Director of the Foreign
Meriel Tulante, the Coordinator
of the Center is Prof.
Maria I. Peale. The LACC seeks to promote
students' intercultural and international
understanding. Various facilities and media
are available in the LACC as well as information
on international cultural events.
WHY STUDY A FOREIGN LANGUAGE? DID
- Knowledge of a second language is essential in over 60 occupations.
- Each of the major U.S. corporations routinely employs 500-5,000 persons abroad.
- Commercial language schools now have waiting lists, because of increased demands in business and industry for people with strong language skills.
- 1,261 companies surveyed reported 60,687 positions requiring a second language.
IF YOU STUDY A FOREIGN LANGUAGE
AT PHILADELPHIA UNIVERSITY, YOU WILL
LEARN HOW TO
- Communicate in a foreign language.
- Appreciate other cultures by understanding cultural differences, culture shock, and cultural context.
- Read literary works, newspapers and magazine articles in the target language.
- Prepare for study abroad and foreign travel.
- Prepare for careers in today's global economy.
- Use technology to acquire information and communicate with people from other cultures.
- Understand radio and television broadcasts in the target language.
- Feel comfortable speaking a foreign language.
For further information, please contact