The purpose of the Advanced Placement Option (APO) is to assure sound preparation in midwifery, while minimizing repetition of learning activities for knowledge and skills already attained. The APO may allow the student to accelerate through the midwifery program or complete the program on a part-time basis.
This option is available to:
- Nurse Practitioners
- Foreign Educated Midwives*
- MEAC-Educated, Licensed, Certified Professional Midwives
Applicants for the APO complete the general admissions process for the MS in Midwifery or Post-Master's Certificate and, in addition, submit detailed documentation of previous professional education and clinical practice by completing the APO portfolio provided.
To be eligible for the APO, applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- Meet all of the M.S. in Midwifery or Post-Master's Certificate admissions requirements.
- Provide documentation of successful completion of a nurse practitioner or midwifery program accredited by the recognized regulatory body for the jurisdiction where the institution is located.
- Have no history of any professional credential revocation or pending disciplinary action.
- If educated outside of the United States, take and submit results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language [TOEFL] with a minimum score of 550 [paper-based], 213 [computer-based], 79 (internet-based), or submit a transcript showing the completion of the highest level of an intensive English language program (ELS-210) if they are from countries whose first language is not English.
- Have health care experience in the United States for at least one (1) year in the preceding five (5) years, if they are foreign educated midwives (FEM).
*Due to VISA restrictions, we are only able to accept U.S. citizens and permanent residents into our program at this time. Foreign-educated Midwives, who are also U.S. permanent residents, are encouraged to apply.
***If a student is accepted into the Advanced Placement Option, they will meet with their Faculty Advisor to discuss an Individualized Plan of Study based their current skills and experience. This IPS will be presented to the MIPU Academic Council for approval.
If you have questions about your unique situation, And to obtain an Advanced Placement Option Portfolio, please contact the admissions coordinator who will be happy to discuss your particular circumstances. Please contact 215-951-2943.