In addition to supporting service-learning initiatives, and connecting community partners with student volunteers as projects arise, the Office of Community Service Learning sponsors various traditional community service events. Our annual events are described below, and if available, specific contact information is provided. If you have any questions about the programs listed, do not hesitate contact us at (215) 951-2634, or send us an email at communityservice@PhilaU.edu.
- NSO PLUNGE!
- Every summer before classes begin, incoming students get to experience Philadelphia by helping it through the Community Service PLUNGE! The PLUNGE! is a highlight of the New Student Orientation (NSO) program every August. START Leaders and other student leaders travel with students to sites across the city to take part in various half-day service activities, helping to better their city and making new friends in the process. View photos from last year’s PLUNGE!
- Community Service Fair - In collaboration with the SGA sponsored Student Activities Fair, we invite our community partners to campus to provide the PhilaU community an opportunity to find out about the many volunteer opportunities available throughout the city and beyond.
- Alternative Spring Break - Philadelphia University partners with Habitat for Humanity’s Collegiate Challenge program to coordinate the Alternative Spring Break (ASB) service trip. Students apply and interview to be selected for the team starting in November and commit to fundraising leading up to the trip itself in March, when the team devotes their spring break vacation to meaningful service and team-building. View some photos from the 2009 trip to York, PA.
- Blood Drives - Each Fall and Spring, Philadelphia University provides students, faculty and staff with the opportunity to donate blood to the American Red Cross on campus. Students can sign up for appointments online, giving a small part of themselves to save a life. Prepare yourself for your donation! Things you should do before, during and after to be healthy.
- Relay for Life - Since 1986, Relay for Life has served as the American Cancer Society’s signature fundraising event. Teams of volunteers raise money through pledges and camp out on campus overnight. Each team has a representative on the track at all times throughout the night to signify the ongoing fight against cancer. Students, faculty and staff are all welcome and encouraged to join! Check out photos from our first-ever Relay for Life event at PhilaU, where we passed our goal of raising over $20,000!Check out more information on Relay for Life
There are always opportunities to create new service traditions! If you have an idea about sponsoring service events at Philadelphia University, don't hesitate to visit our office located in the Student Development Suite in Kanbar 317.
Office of Community Service Learning
Student Development Programs
Kanbar Campus Center, Suite 317