PhilaU graduates are highly sought after by top companies and nonprofit organizations. With the help of the professional in the Marianne Able Career Services, we encourage student to develop a job-search strategy to help make the job search shorter, more manageable and much more rewarding.
- Use the Career Services Center's job and internship database, HirePhilaU. Using HirePhilaU first allows you to find opportunities that were posted by employer who have an interest in Philadelphia University students and alumni.
- Use job/employment websites that search the internet for positions based on key words that the user plugs into the search box. They can be general search sites like SimplyHired.com and Indeed.com.
- Make a list of companies and positions that you are interested in working at/in and learning more about. Having this focused list will allow you to keep track of your progress within the job search and application process.
- Networking is vital for a job seeker’s success. 70% of all positions are filled by word of mouth. To learn more about how to incorporate networking into your job search, read the networking and informational interviewing guides.
Start your search: Use our JOB SEARCH GUIDE to organize & implement your search
- Identify the job function and industry you’re interested, the type of company you’d like to work for and your ideal location.
- Develop a list of target companies you want to apply to. Use Occupational Outlook Handbook; Resources by Major; Plunkett Research; and LinkedIn to find companies of interest.
- Once you’ve formulated your strategy and have an idea of how you’re going to approach your job search, take advantage of the resources at your fingertips and most importantly use your network.
*Note: Resources accessed from off-campus connections may need to log in using their individual Philadelphia University username/password
CollegeGrad.com is the #1 entry level job site, with extensive information on careers, resumes, cover letters, interviewing, salary information, employer research and entry level job postings.
Plunkett Research Online - Industry and company research
Glassdoor.com - Tool used to research jobs, salary, and interview questions for positions and companies
Going Global - International careers and country specific guide
Philadelphia Creative Guide - Local design companies
Comprehensive job sites:
Regional job sites:
Bizjournal - Philadelphia Business Directory
Sustainable Business Network of Greater Philadelphia - Directory of Philadelphia businesses committed to sustainability
U.S. Chambers of Commerce - Chamber member directory
Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce
Non profit job sites:
Idealist.org - database of non profit jobs, internships, and volunteer positions
Opportunityknocks.org - database of non profit jobs, internships, and volunteer positions
USA Jobs - Official Government Job Search Site
International job resources:
Salary & housing resources:
NACE Salary Calculator Center - The National Association of Colleges and Employers offers the most accurate compensation data available.
Payscale - Create salary reports as a job candidate, as an employee, as a job seeker
Quintessential Careers Salary Negotiation Tutorial
The Creative Group Salary Guide
Trulia - Free real estate information with detailed graphical neighborhood data
Zillow - Free apartment rental information with detailed graphical neighborhood data
Log in here
Monday through Friday
9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
WALK IN HOURS:
Mondays / Wednesdays / Fridays: 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Tuesdays / Thursdays:
2 p.m. - 4 p.m.