Consideration for International Students

International students on F-1 visas have two options for gaining experience in their field of study - Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and either pre- or post-degree-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT).

Terms of Internship Employment

Curricular Practical Training allows undergraduate and graduate international students to work in an internship during their academic experience as part of their curriculum. Requirements of CPT include that the student be eligible for and register to earn academic credit in relation to the internship; the internship must also be pre-approved by the student's academic advisor.

Credit Options



International Students


Non-credit (if pursuing an unpaid internship)

3, 6,

Non-credit (if pursuing an unpaid internship)

There are additional requirements based on USBCIS regulations and application paperwork is required; please International Student Programs Office for additional information on CPT and/or advice in beginning the internship search.

It is strongly recommended that students interested in participating in CPT begin their internship search one to two semesters before expecting to work, allowing time to secure the best experience possible.

For additional information about pre- or post-degree completion Optional Practical Training and how to apply, or for other types of student visas and related work permissions, students should see the International Student Programs Office.


Log in here

For Students/Alumni

For Employers


Browse FAQs, call 215.951.2930 or email

FacebookIon     Linkedin-icon     twitter-icon     pinterest