PhilaU Mentor Connect was developed to create a space where alumni and students could connect professionally to explore a mentor/mentee relationship.
PhilaU Mentor Connect is an informal mentoring program in which 1) mentors and mentees connect with each other via LinkedIn (vs. being connected or matched by a third party) and 2) the mentoring relationship is not structured as compared with a formal mentoring program. Successful mentoring relationships are grounded in trust, respect and mutually agreed-upon goals. As you enter into a mentor/mentee relationship, please consult the resources provided below.
A Mentee is one who is being mentored (a Mentor is a trusted counselor or guide; a tutor or coach). Typical qualities of successful mentees include:
- Genuine commitment to learn and interest in professional and personal growth
- Available and committed to investing time into the mentor relationship
- Active listening skills
- Self-management skills
- Openness and receptiveness to receiving feedback and coaching
- Interest in developing a sense of self, as well as a personal and professional vision
The potential outcomes of effective mentoring for the Mentee can include the following:
- Understanding of, identification with and connection to the professional environment
- Greater self-confidence
- Expanded effective communication skills
- Exposure to organizational culture and politics
- Development of independent and creative thinking skills