4+1 B.S. /M.S. Textile Design
The School of Design and Engineering offers a five-year Bachelor of Science/Master of Science (B.S./M.S.) program to qualifying students majoring in textile design. Students follow the B.S. in Textile Design program for the first three years. Graduate courses taken in the fourth year of undergraduate study are applied toward both the B.S. and M.S. degrees. The fifth year includes a summer session in addition to the fall and spring semesters.
The five-year program offers an opportunity for students wishing to further their design education through a year of graduate-level work. They are given the opportunity to work on design development on a more concentrated basis, and thus extend their design skills and portfolio work (within their chosen undergraduate specialization) to a level not attainable through the undergraduate program.
- Prior to the end of their junior year, B.S. in Design students must complete the following:
- Meet with an advisor from the Textile Design program
- Submit an application to the Graduate Admission Office indicating a desire to enter the 4+1 degree
- Currently enrolled undergraduate textile design students will be considered for admission if they have maintained a 3.0 GPA.
- The GRE is required for full acceptance to the program and must be taken before the end of the senior year.
- B.S. in Textile Design students must complete a minimum of 120 unique undergraduate credits to receive their undergraduate degree.
- In order to complete the M.S. in Textile Design in one calendar year, some courses may need to be taken during the summers.
Program Learning Outcomes
See the B.S. in Textile Design and M.S. in Textile Design catalog entries for Program Learning Outcomes for both programs.
The following is a sample curriculum sequence:
4th year of B.S. in Textile Design
- TXD-617 Design Studio IC 3 credits
- TXD-615 Design Studio IA 3 credits
- TXD-742 Design Studio IIA 3 credits
- TXD-743 Design Studio IIB 3 credits
- TXD-744 Design Studio IIC 3 credits
- TXD-772 Design Studio IIIA 3 credits
- TXD-773 Design Studio IIIB 3 credits
- TXD-774 Design Studio IIIC 2 credits
- TXD-975 Thesis 1 credits
- TXD-777 Adv. Computer Aided Design 3 credits
- Elective Designated TD Elective 3 credits
TOTAL CREDITS: 30 credits