The tutoring program at Philadelphia University provides opportunities and assistance for all students to develop the writing, quantitative, content-based learning and critical thinking strategies required for both academic and professional success. Our tutoring staff, which is comprised of trained peer and professional Nexus Learning practitioners, forms supportive relationships with students, assisting them to practice the active, collaborative and real-world learning strategies they will use when navigating the evolving global marketplace.
- Use resources and opportunities provided by the tutoring program to improve their abilities to learn and achieve academic and professional success.
- Exhibit comprehension about how they learn.
- Articulate the methods used to achieve their learning goals.
- Demonstrate study strategies that lead to academic success.
- Appreciate the value of the university resources that provide academic assistance.
Free professional and peer tutoring are available to all Philadelphia University students who wish to improve performance or maintain high grades in a variety of subject areas. Students work one-on-one or in small groups with professional or peer tutors. Workshops are offered in areas such as time management, note-taking, test-taking strategies, and other study strategies. Review sessions and disciplinary-specific workshops target skills needed for particular courses. All of these services are available at no cost to Philadelphia University students. Go to www.philau.edu/learning to find an updated tutoring schedule for each semester.
Included in the Learning and Advising Center are the following tutoring services:
- Professional and peer tutoring are available for all levels of math courses.
- Writing assistance is available at all stages of the writing process, from help with organizing ideas and getting started on papers to revising final drafts. Specialized help is also available for writing research papers and for problems with documenting sources, grammar and punctuation.
- Study Skills/Test Taking Strategies: Specialized help is available for students who want to read, study and take tests more effectively.
- English as a Second Language: Students speaking English as a second language can receive both specialized professional help and assistance in coursework and general language skills.
- Peer Tutoring: Peer tutoring related to specific academic courses is offered by fellow students experienced in the subject. Students are recommended by faculty and trained in learning techniques.