The Study Abroad program provides students the opportunity to participate in international experiences that support their personal, academic and professional development. While abroad, students take courses toward their degree and develop a professional awareness of their discipline in a global context. Students may study abroad for one semester, a full academic year, on a summer program, or on a faculty-led “short course” during the winter, spring or summer term.
Study Abroad enriches the PhilaU educational experience by organizing programs that allow students to:
- Appreciate the interdependence of the global environment.
- Demonstrate the knowledge of international economic and/or cultural developments in their field and/or particular area of interest.
- Value intercultural experience.
- Develop an ethical and professional awareness of their discipline within the global community.
- Gain insights into the historical, cultural, social, political, geographic and environmental contexts of the site of study.
- Apply their resourcefulness, flexibility, independence and the ability to collaborate and work together.
- Seek another opportunity to travel abroad.
The Study Abroad Office provides individualized attention to each student, reviews his/her academic needs and career goals, and advises on program options. To ensure students stay on track for graduation, students must have all study abroad courses reviewed and approved by their Academic Advisor/Program Director and the Study Abroad Office during the application period. Only pre-approved courses and credits taken abroad will be accepted by Philadelphia University and reported on a student’s Philadelphia University transcript.
Students have program options all over the world: Italy, England, Scotland, France, Spain, Denmark, Australia, New Zealand, China, Japan, etc. In Italy, students can participate in one of Philadelphia University’s own study abroad programs: Philadelphia University’s Center for Architecture and Fashion at UARC (University of Arkansas Rome Center) in Rome and Philadelphia University’s Center for Design at NABA (Nuova Accademia di Belle Arti) in Milan. For more information on study abroad programs, the application process, deadlines and requirements, please contact the Study Abroad Office or visit their website: www.philau.edu/studyabroad.
Basic Requirements for Study Abroad:
- Foreign program must be approved by the Study Abroad Office
- Completion of the online study abroad application and all supporting materials (Letters of recommendation from two faculty members, essay questions and course approval from Academic Advisor/Program Director)
- Interview with either the Director or the Coordinator of Study Abroad
- Certification from the Office of Student Life that the student is not on disciplinary probation
- Completion of 60 credits prior to departing for a summer/semester/year-long program. (The completion of 60 credits may apply for participation in short courses, see guidelines by course.)
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 (Please note: many foreign institutions may require a higher GPA of 2.75 or 3.0)
Additional documents and/or a portfolio of work may be required and will be noted on the Study Abroad application.