Environmental sustainability is growing as a mindset, a business strategy, a political movement, a lifestyle, and as a career. Here are some recent news items and web resources regarding the sustainability job market:
- George Basile, "What is the Worth of a Degree in Sustainability?"
- This article from Sustainability: The Journal of Record outlines the role of sustainability managers in today's workforce.
- "Companies Cite Growing Interest, Need and Value for Environmental Smarts: Survey"
- This article from GreenBiz.com reports the findings of a recent survey of employers about their interest in job candidates with environmental understanding.
- "Eco-Consultants: Make Me Greener, Please"
- The New York Times looks at careers in environmental consulting for homeowners.
- Steven Greenhouse, "Millions of Jobs of a Different Color"
- This New York Times article explores the "green collar" jobs trend.
- BBC News, "UN Forecasts Boom in Green Jobs"
- Read about the new UN report on the millions of new jobs that are expected in the alternative energy and sustainability fields.
- The United States Conference of Mayors, "Green Jobs in U.S. Metro Areas"
- This report lists Philadelphia as 7th in the nation, with over 14,000 green jobs. An additional 99,000 green jobs are forecast for the Philadelphia region alone by 2038.
- "Core Competencies for Sustainability Professionals"
- This article from the journal Sustainability looks at the kind of skills and training that sustainability directors need to do their jobs.
- Christopher Joyce, "Young Green Entrepreneurs Flock to Carbon Market"
- This National Public Radio story looks at new careers in the growing carbon credit trading markets.
- Claudia Deutsch, "Companies Giving Green an Office"
- This New York Times article highlights the growing corporate trend towards hiring Chief Sustainability Officers.
- The Story of Stuff with Annie Leonard
- Here's an engaging multimedia presentation that explains why we are going to need a new generation of sustainability experts.
- Andrew Martin, "In Eco-Friendly Factory, Low-Guilt Potato Chips"
- A New York Times article about Frito-Lay's innovative efforts to reduce the environmental impact of their corporate operations.
Click here to see our fact sheet for the Environmental Sustainability major. This includes a full listing of the required courses.
For more information about the B.S. in Environmental Sustainability at Philadelphia University, please contact Tom Schrand at SchrandT@PhilaU.edu