Summer Aid

The summer semester acts as a separate semester of the 2019-2020 award year. Students may receive financial aid for summer courses if:

  • You are enrolled at least half-time as a degree-seeking graduate student at Thomas Jefferson University- East Falls. Each graduate program has their own standards for enrollment.  Please check with your program as to what constitutes full time and half time enrollment;
  • You are maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress;
  • You have filed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the 2019-2020 award year and listed Jefferson's FAFSA code (013549);
  • You complete the Summer Aid Application by June 15, 2020;
  • Student loans are available.  Summer loans will be included in toward your aggregate borrowing limit.


Applying for Summer Financial Aid

After you have registered for your summer semester courses, you will need to complete and submit a Summer Financial Aid Application to the Financial Aid Office.

Click here to download the form: Summer 2020 Institutional Financial Aid Application.

You may need to consider borrowing an Alternative Loan or a Direct PLUS Loan if you have exhausted your 2019-2020 financial aid eligibility. Students or parents may apply for alternative or private education loans. Jefferson- East Falls Campus does not have a preferred lender list; nor does it endorse/recommend private lenders. However, our website provides a neutral lender and product comparison chart for these types of loans. See our Lender Contact Information Chart.

Please note that approval for Direct PLUS and Alternative Loans are based on a credit review by the loan lender.

The deadline to apply for summer financial aid is June 15, 2020.


Summer Term FAQs

How many credits do I need to take to qualify for aid?

Students must be enrolled at least half time over all summer sessions to be eligible for Federal Aid; however, there are some private loan programs available to students enrolled less than half time.  Each graduate program has separate standards for half time enrollment,  Check with your program for the required number of credits needed to be half time. If your registration drops below half time, your summer financial aid will be adjusted. These adjustments may create a balance due on your account.

How do I apply for loans for the summer term?

If you borrowed a Federal Direct Loan during the 2019-2020 academic year and have remaining loan eligibility, then please complete the Summer Aid Application. If you have never borrowed Direct Loans before, you will need to complete the 2019-20 FAFSA, the Application and Master Promissory Note at in addition to the Summer Aid Application.

What if I have to change my registration or housing status for the summer?

If you change your registration or housing status after completing and returning the Summer Aid Application, please contact the Financial Aid Office so necessary adjustments can be made to your aid.

Is financial aid available for off-campus living expenses?

Financial aid may be used for off-campus living expenses. Please indicate your summer housing arrangements on the Summer Aid Application. You may, however, not be eligible for the amount you request. If you have requested additional funds for living expenses, those extra funds will be issued by Student Accounts after your financial aid has been finalized and credited to your account. You should be prepared to pay your expenses until you receive your refund from Student Accounts.