Security Report: Missing Person Notification Policy
Beginning October 1, 2010, a school that provides any on-campus student housing facility must include in its annual security report a statement of policy regarding missing student notification procedures for students who reside in on-campus student housing facilities.
The statement must:
- Include the titles of the persons or organizations to which reports should be made that a student has been missing for 24 hours
- Require that any missing student report must be refereed immediately to the school's police or campus security department, or, in the absence of a school police or campus security department, to the local law enforcement agency that has jurisdiction in the area
- Contain an option for each student to identify a contact person or persons whom the school will notify within 24 hours if the student is determined by the school police or security department or the local law enforcement agency to be missing
- Advise students their contact information will be registered confidentially
- Inform students that the school will notify within 24 hours the appropriate law enforcement agency that the student is determined to be missing (if the law enforcement agency did not make the determination that the student is missing)
Advises students, if they are under 18 years of age and not emancipated that the school is required to notify a custodial parent or guardian with 24 hours when the student is determined to be missing in addition to any additional contact person designated by the student.
Safety and Security