Welcome to our Landscape Architecture Program!
As Director of the PhilaU Landscape Architecture Program, I welcome you to our website.
PhilaU’s Landscape Architecture Program has a mission of sustainable urban design through service-learning. Our program is committed to providing leadership in confronting ecological issues of the natural environment and cultural and social issues that affect urban neighborhoods, particularly those in need of revitalization.
What really makes our Landscape Architecture Program unique is that for most design studio projects we partner with community groups, schools, or governmental organizations to address "real" environmental and community issues.
Our upper level landscape architecture design studios are taught by some of the top landscape architects in the world!—One of the key advantages of studying landscape architecture in Philadelphia. This has resulted in our graduates being extremely successful in landing internships and/or fulltime employment at some of the best firms in the country, e.g., OLIN Partnership, Andropogon, Ayers St. Gross, Oehme Van Sweden, Jonathan Alderson—just to name a few.
We launched our new MS in GeoDesign in Fall 2013—the first such program in the world! This will give all our students a 4+1 option: 4-Yr BLA + 1-Yr MS post-professional degree in GeoDesign. Please visit our MS in GeoDesign webpage for more details.
Please contact me with any questions that you might have about our program or a career in landscape architecture. Also, I would love to meet you in person and give you a tour of our facilities and have you meet our students and faculty.
Claudia Phillips, PhD, FCELA, FASLA
Director, Landscape Architecture + GeoDesign Programs
Notable Accomplishments of the Director, Honors + Awards
- Elected to the Council of Fellows of the American Society of Landscape Architects (2013)
- Elected Fellow of the Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture (2012)
- Selected as Landscape Architecture Foundation Research Fellow in the Case Study Investigation 2012 Research Program (2012)
- Presented with Distinguished Alumnus Award in “Recognition of Outstanding Achievement and Contributions to the Profession of Landscape Architecture” by the Department of Landscape Architecture, University of Florida (2012)
- Elected Founding Council Member (representing CELA) of the National Academy of Environmental Design (NAED) (2009)
- Served as President, Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture (CELA) (2009-10): Served as Past President (2010-11); Elected First Vice President/President Elect (2007-09); Elected Second Vice President (2005-07)
- Received Schuylkill Action Network Educational Sector Source Water Protection Award for Education Leadership (2006)
- Presented with CELA Award of Recognition for Excellence in Teaching, Research and Service (2003)
- Awarded tenure and promotion to Associate Professor, Morgan State University (2003)
- Appointed by the Governor as a Member of the State of Maryland’s Governor’s Commission on Environmental Justice and Sustainable Communities (2002)