Introduction to the Writing Center:
The Writing Center at Philadelphia University strives to create a welcoming, accessible environment where students can come to receive individualized writing instruction in engaging tutoring sessions. Our trained, professional writing tutors assist Philadelphia University undergraduate and graduate students with writing assignments for any course, at any stage of the writing process.
The Writing Center envisions tutoring as a process of empowerment; we aim to help you succeed independently as a writer by developing a long-term, complex skill set. In other words, we want to help make you a better writer for life, not just for one assignment.
To make a writing tutoring appointment:
- Stop by the Learning & Advising Center at Haggar Hall,
- Call the Learning & Advising Center at 215-951-2799, or
- Email Erin Lucas, Writing Assistance Coordinator, at email@example.com.
General information about writing tutoring:
- Appointments are scheduled in 30-minute blocks. However, if you believe your writing assistance needs can’t be fully addressed in 30 minutes, you may request two appointments in a row for a total of 60 minutes of instructional time. These longer blocks are only available when the tutoring schedule permits, so please try to book them far in advance.
- Successful writing tutoring requires that you leave time to make independent revisions at home. Multiple drafts and follow-up tutoring sessions are often required, and “last minute” tutoring sessions don’t usually yield the desired results. It is in your best interest to make your writing tutoring appointment well in advance of your assignment’s due date.
- Remember to always bring a copy of your assignment to any tutoring session! Without the assignment information on hand it is very difficult for our writing tutors to provide specific feedback.
- Writing tutors send detailed feedback summaries to instructors regarding each tutoring session. These feedback summaries allow your instructor to keep track of your efforts and progress.
Professional writing tutors can help you:
- Understand the assignment and figure out how to begin,
- Organize your ideas,
- Generate a strong thesis,
- Interpret instructor feedback,
- Identify specific areas for improvement in your writing, i.e. sentence structure, paragraph unity, synthesis of source material, etc.,
- Review the rules of standard written English,
- Review the rules of MLA, APA, and other documentation formats,
- Develop habits of effective and ethical research,
- Strategize a revision plan for your work,
- Identify patterns of error (mechanics, style, usage, etc.) in your writing and have you work to correct them yourself
and much more. Our role is to facilitate positive changes in your writing, not to do the work for you.
As a result, our professional writing tutors will never:
- Create a thesis for you
- Supply ideas for you
- Do research for you
- Copy-edit your paper for you
- “Fix” or “finish” a paper for you at the last minute
Thesis Writing Workshop for Graduate Students: