Gutman Library was built in 1992 to replace the Pastore Library (now the Architecture & Design School). Noted architectural firm, Shepley Bulfinch, was responsible for the building design. In 1993, the library received the Louis I. Kahn Award for the best-designed academic building from American School and University, a national publication.
Quiet Floors and Zones
- The upper and lower levels of the library are designated quiet floors
- For the most quiet, use a study room or the Quiet Zones*: 1) Upper level - at the far end of that floor, closest to Downs Hall; OR 2) Ground floor - at Downs Hall side towards front of library, adjacent to Special Collections -- (Look for "Quiet Zone" signs)
*We request that those using these areas refrain from making noise with music, talking or cell phones. If quiet is not being observed in any of these areas, feel free to ask for help at the Reference Desk on the main level.
Group and Individual Study Rooms
The Library has rooms for quiet study and group discussion
- Six group study rooms (most accommodate two to six people)
- Equipped with table and chairs and power outlets
- Rooms 214 and 101 equipped with plasma screens, for projection from your laptop
- Request a key at the Circulation desk.
- Available on a first-come, first-served basis
- Current ID card is required
- Rooms may be used for up to four hours (and longer if no one else is waiting for a room)
See http://www.philau.edu/library/About/Buildinginfo/reservations.html for information on how to reserve a room.
Desktop and Laptop Computers
- Over 80 computers, both MAC and PC
- Have Microsoft Office suite and software found in Search Hall computer labs
- Wireless laptops and iPads can also be borrowed from Circulation
Photocopies, Computer Printing, and Scanners
Black & white copiers
- Located In the copy room on the main floor of the library and on the lower level by the printers
- Cost: Using a PhilaU ID card (debit), 8 1/2"x11" B&W copies cost $.10 per sheet; $.15 if cash is used. 11"x17" B&W copies are $.20 (debit) or $.30 (bill or coin)
- In the main copy room near Circulation Desk on the main level
- Paper Sizes: It offers 8 1/2 x 11" paper and 11"x 17" paper.
- Cost: Price per copy is $.50 (debit or cash)
Computer Printing (Public Workstations and Laptops)
- Color and Paper Sizes: B&W and color; there are printers on both the main and lower levels that allow printing on 11" x 17" paper. On the main floor, select the main floor 11x17 printer. Color printing is on the lower level only.
- Printing Limit: Print up to 500, B&W pages for free each semester.
- Cost: Free until you print more than 500 B&W pages. Printing in color requires funds on your campus card; Color prints cost $.99/page.
Scanners are attached to various PCs and MACs in the library.
Hours Today | Complete Hours