This building was the first structure to be
by the Philadelphia Textile Institute on the recently
purchased (1946) Kolb estate.
It was originally designed as a multipurpose building
housing classrooms, laboratories and faculty offices; while also leaving
space on the original estate for future development.
The façade was designed along a simplified modem style utilizing warm-hued brick, marble and cast stone. Although functional in character the building was designed to fit into its "rural setting". The original plans provided for a total of 90,000 square feet of floor space. Budgetary considerations were a major factor in determining the lack of architectural decoration but the architect was also interested in presenting a strictly functional design. The building was also to be a teaching example of the "modem textile plant". Architecturally, the only exceptions were the entrance lobby that was marble lined and floored with terrazzo, and the large expanses of plate glass utilized to provide a clear view of classrooms and laboratories from halls and instructor's offices. The rest of the interior was typical plant construction.
The ground floor was designed to provide accommodations for the Scholler Dye Laboratory, cotton and rayon finishing rooms, wool laboratory and worsted laboratory. Also located on this level was a fully equipped cafeteria, which could also serve as an auditorium and conference room. The first floor provided rooms for cotton and rayon processing, cotton picking, knitting, hand weaving, yam and spinning, beaming, drawing- in and facilities for rayon, cotton and wool weaving. The second floor housed the inorganic and organic chemistry laboratories, areas for qualitative and quantitative analysis, spectroscopy, microscopy, physics, physical testing, photographic darkroom, cloth analysis, balance department, jacquard weaving and card cutting. Because of the testing instrumentation, air-conditioning was installed on part of this floor.
The movement of heavy textile machinery was a major consideration in the overall interior layout. A large industrial elevator serviced all floors. Driveways were placed on either end of the building at the ground level so that the central hallways of all three floors were accessible. Each of these corridors ended with large overhead doors and were supplemented by the placement of a roof-top cathead installation on each side of the building.
The building was named after Bertrand W. Hayward, who was the College Dean from 1947 to 1973. This building presently houses the School of Textiles and Materials Technology and the School of Science and Health.
Click on a thumbnail below to view larger image.
- Built: 1948
- Architect: George M Ewing