Paul J. Gutman Library
  Paul J. Gutman Library >> Home>> HBuildings
 

Historical Building Survey of Philadelphia University

White House
Built in 1900

 

                               

map

Historical Building Survey of Philadelphia University

Philadelphia & Environs
Textiles and Victorian Trade Card

Architecture
& Design Center
Chapel
Goldie Paley House
Hayward Hall
President's House
Ravenhill Mansion
Roxboro House
Scholler Hall
Student Center
White Corners
White House

In 1946, the Philadelphia Textile Institute purchased the Kolb estate in Germantown. The school at that time was located in Center City Philadelphia, at the corner of Broad and Pine Streets. This new 12.5 acre estate included the mansion of Colonel Kolb.

This family residence was built with an attractive large foyer accented with oak paneling and ceiling beams and adorned with a frieze depicting the founding of Germantown. The first floor along with a living room, included a music room, a conservatory and a large dinning room with bay windows. Located on the second floor were six bedrooms and four bathrooms. The second floor became an apartment for the president of the school in the late 1940's. A separate wing included the kitchen and pantry with servant apartments. Kolb's personal gardener continued his employment with school after the purchase, maintaining the extensive landscaping which included a number of rare trees and shrubs.

Over the years, a number of different administrative offices have been located in this building. Presently the offices for Academic Affairs, Institutional Advancement, Public Relations and the Treasurer are located in this building. The President of the University also maintains his office in this building.