Leadership in Emergency Services
The Leadership in Emergency Services curriculum provides necessary
background and skills for providers in fire, rescue, public safety, and
Emergency Medical Services fields to grow into leadership positions.
This program provides leaders, and potential leaders,with
the knowledge necessary to pursue a supervisory and/or management
career in one of the many emergency services agencies. This program
provides a strong linkage to Philadelphia University’s Master of Science degree in Disaster and Medical Management.
Receive your degree. Realize your dream.
This program is intended for adults who have a minimum of 30 credits to apply to their BS degrees. These credits are acquired through transfer of credits from previously attended, accredited colleges and universities. Credits include college-level courses in Writing, Math, Scientific Reasoning, History, Social Science, Humanities and Information Systems. (Please note: Information Systems training or coursework required within 5 years of enrollment in the program.)
Emergency responders who have obtained paramedic certification meeting the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration National Standard Curriculum may be eligible for block credit transfer of 42 credits.
General Education Core: 15 credits
- HIST-321 Business, Industry and Work in American History
- HUMN-310 Globalization and World Politics
- SOC-310 The Social Science of the Workplace
- COMM-320 Professional Communication Skills
- CSSEM-499 Professional Studies Capstone Seminar
Continuing Professional Studies Core: 18 credits
- CSSEM-300 Professional Practice Seminar
- MGMT-361 Leadership Theory & Ethical Practices
- ECON-331 Economic Decision Making
- STAT-311 Finding and Evaluation Statistical Data
- FINC-323 Financial Decision Making
- IT-201 Organizational Ethics
Major Courses: 15 credits
- EMS-310 Emergency Services Law
- EMS-320 Emergency Management Planning
- EMS-330 Public Health Issues Impacting Emergency Services
- EMS-410 Disaster Response and Recovery Planning
- EMS-499 Theoretical Applications and Applied Project in Emergency Services Leadership
Free Electives: 12 credits
Call 215.951.2900 or email evening@PhilaU.edu for more information about this innovative program or to schedule an appointment with an academic advisor.
Please call or email Philadelphia University's School of Continuing and Professional Studies: Phone- 215.951.2900 or email- Evening@PhilaU.edu