by number of different individuals, the name that is most prominent is William Weightman. He was a partner in the firm of Powers and Weightman, a chemical supply manufacturing company. At one time he was considered to be the richest man in Pennsylvania. Weightman owned this house by 1844, however parts of this house may date as far back as 1802. He undertook major renovations to the home in 1876 and 1887. The noted Philadelphia architect, Willis Gaylord Hale was involved in much of this work. At Weightman’s death in 1904, the property passed on to his daughter, Ann Marie. In 1910, Ann Marie gave the estate to the Catholic Archdiocese of Philadelphia. In 1919, the Archdiocese gave it to an order of nuns, Religious of the Assumption. They opened a private girl's school which eventually became known as Ravenhill Academy. In 1982, the Philadelphia College of Textiles and Science purchased the school and surrounding 27 acres. Presently, the mansion houses the administrative and faculty offices for the School of General Studies. There are also spaces for campus meetings and catered events. Classrooms R11 through R35 are located here.