Online Campus Storage Mac
Philadelphia University provides faculty and staff with online storage access. This storage is available from any network computer on campus as well as through VPN off camous. (Click here for a VPN Setup Walkthrough) Please click on the appropriate link to learn how to set up storage access on an Apple computer.
Please click on the appropriate storage service you would like to set up on your computer
Juno (Personal Storage or Home Directory)
Lightning (Public Storage)
Lightning Setup on Apple/Mac Computers
Lightning is the shared academic folder server for Philadelphia University. Folders and files are stored on this server and can be accessed by fellow students, faculty and staff.
1. Log-on to the computer, and connect to the Philadelphia University network. This can be accomplished through an Ethernet or wireless connection on-campus, or by using a VPN connection from off campus.
2. At the Mac desktop, choose "Connect to Server" from the "Go" pull-down menu.
2. Choose the Lightning server, or type the server name (which can be expressed as smb://Lightning) in the address bar. Click "Connect".
3. Type in the user's username and password where appropriate. If necessary, express username as "Student\YourUserName" for students, or "Philacol\YourUserName" for faculty and staff.
4. If the computer prompts the user to choose a volume to mount, choose the appropriate one and click "OK." For example: Academic Files folders can be found in the Apps folder, so choose "Apps" as the folder to mount.
5. The icon should appear on the user's desktop. Find the folder needed and open it. The user should now have access to files on Lightning.
6. To create an alias (shortcut) to a particular subfolder, hold down the "Apple" and "Option" keys and drag the icon onto the desktop. If a message appears stating that it cannot find the server, the user may not be connected to the network.
If connected, try deleting the shortcut and re-creating it, replacing smb://lightning with smb://lightning.facstaff.philau.edu.
NOTE FOR OFF-CAMPUS ACCESS: Users will need to install and run VPN to get to Lightning. If so, please choose the appropriate VPN Instructions in the Guides Lists Here.
For further assistance, please contact the Technology Help Desk at 215-951-4648 or by Email at HelpDesk@PhilaU.edu